Welcome to Class 5
Welcome to the Class 5 webpage!
The class teacher is Miss Turner, with Learning Support Assistant Mrs Kinsella for the Autumn Term.
- PE is on Thursdays. Please ensure your child’s PE kit has their name in it and that it is in school as soon as possible. PE kits will be sent home at the end of each half term.
- Our start time is 8:45am and our finish time is 3:20pm.
- Spelling tests will be on Friday. Spelling lists will be given to children each half term.
- Times tables tests will be on Thursdays. Children are expected to know the 10, 2 and 5 times tables by the end of Year 2.
- All children will require a water bottle. Please ensure this contains water only. Children will be able to refill their bottles in class.
Reading books will be sent home every Thursday and must be returned every Monday. Your child be given a familiar reading book in order to practise the different phonic sounds or a reading book of the colour band they are currently reading at. Please read this book several times before returning on Monday. Please record this in the reading diary we have provided.
Phonics and Early Reading
At Northcote Primary School we believe that all our children can become fluent readers and writers. This is why we teach reading through Little Wandle Letters and Sounds Revised, which is a systematic and synthetic phonics programme. We start teaching phonics in Nursery and follow the Little Wandle Letters and Sounds Revised progression, which ensures children build on their growing knowledge of the alphabetic code, mastering phonics to read and spell as they move through school.
As a result, our children are able to tackle any unfamiliar words as they read. At Northcote Primary School, we also model the application of the alphabetic code through phonics in shared reading and writing, both inside and outside of the phonics lesson and across the curriculum. We have a strong focus on language development for our children because we know that speaking and listening are crucial skills for reading and writing in all subjects.
There is more information for families here in this link https://www.littlewandlelettersandsounds.org.uk/resources/for-parents/
Long Term Planning
Here is an overview of what we will learn about in Year 2.